The GULFMET is responsible for the following tasks:
- Exchange information on technical capabilities available in member states and disseminate information on new developments in metrology.
- Enhance international credibility in the competency of National Metrology Institutes (NMIs) and designated institutes (DIs) in member states to achieve international recognition of measurement and calibration results and calibration certificates.
- Strengthen metrology infrastructure as a component of quality improvement and promote intra- and inter-regional trade among member states and other countries.
- Enhance the competency in metrology by providing relevant extensive training.
- Participation in international comparison programs to ensure traceability and reliable measurements.
- Organization of regional inter comparison programs among member NMIs.
- Contribute to the metrological infrastructure requirements for consumer protection, health, safety and environment.
- Enhance cooperation with international and other regional organizations of similar interests, such as the International Bureau of Weights and Measures (BIPM), the International Organization of Legal Metrology (OIML).