Bosnia and Herzegovina sometimes called Bosnia-Herzegovina or Bosnia & Herzegovina, abbreviated BiH or B&H, and, in short, often known informally as Bosnia, is a country in Southeastern Europe located on the Balkan Peninsula. Sarajevo is the capital and largest city. Bordered by Croatia to the north, west, and south; Serbia to the east; Montenegro to the southeast; and the Adriatic Sea to the south, with a coastline about 20 kilometres (12 miles) long surrounding the city of Neum. In the central and eastern interior of the country the geography is mountainous, in the northwest it is moderately hilly, and the northeast is predominantly flatland. The inland is a geographically larger region and has a moderate continental climate, with hot summers and cold and snowy winters. The southern tip of the country has a Mediterranean climate and plain topography.
Metrology System in Bosnia and Herzegovina
The current institutional structure of the metrology system in B&H is as follows:
- Institute of Metrology of Bosnia and Herzegovina (IMBIH)
- Bureau of Metrology of Federation B&H
- Republic Bureau for Standardization and Metrology of Republic of Srpska
- Nominated metrology laboratories (in field of verification)
- Bodies for conformity assessment of measuring instruments
- Calibration laboratories (accredited)
Institute of Metrology of Bosnia and Herzegovina
represents the national measurement institute in B&H that is directly responsible to the Council of Ministers of Bosnia and Herzegovina.
Responsibilities of IMBIH are as follows:
- Realization of national measurement standards database in Bosnia and Herzegovina;
- Ensuring of traceability of national standards with international standards;
- Prescribing of metrology requirements for measurement standards, reference materials and measuring instruments;
- Making decisions on recognition of national measurement standards;
- Establishing of distributed metrology system;
- Organization, guidance and involvement in scientific research in field of metrology;
- Proposing and setting priorities of implementation of development projects in field of metrology;
- Participating in work of international organizations for metrology and presenting Bosnia and Herzegovina in it;
- Implementing transnational agreements on cooperation in the field of metrology;
- Director of the Institute, with the consent of the Council, appoints metrology laboratories and centres for verification, which had previously passed the accreditation procedure in accordance with standards of series EN 45000, ie ISO 17025 or procedure equivalent to accreditation procedure;
- Implementing projects or parts of projects in field of metrology with participation of competent scientific and research organizations, institutions and individuals from our country and abroad;
- Prescribing methods of conformity assessment for certain types of measuring instruments, types and ways of marking measuring instruments and content and form of certificates of conformity with the metrological requirements;
- Appointing a legal entity for conformity assessment, whose qualification was verified by the rules of the accreditation, or the rules that are equivalent to the accreditation rules and which meets the additional requirements of conformity assessment prescribed by the Director of the Institute.
The Entity Bureaus of Metrology
Competence of the Entity Bureaus of Metrology, Bureau of Metrology of Federation of B&H and Bureau for Standardization and Metrology of Republic of Srpska are:
- Verification of measuring instruments in legal metrology and supervision
- “Verification of measuring instruments, respecting valid regulations, carry out the entity bureaus for metrology of Federation B&H and Republic of Srpska or appointed legal entities which have previously passed the accreditation procedure or procedure equivalent to the accreditation.“ (Law on Metrology of B&H).