The GULFMET president is elected from among the Steering Committee for Metrology for a three-years term, renewable once, and has the following tasks:
- Commit to the policies and strategies of GULFMET.
- Work towards achieving GULFMET objectives.
- Follow-Up on the implementation of the GULFMET operational plans.
- Chair all GULFMET meetings.
- Declare results of voting, proposals, recommendations and resolutions that were agreed-upon before closing the meeting.
- Represent GULFMET in international meetings and activities.
- The president of GULFMET shall raise all decisions and recommendations to the Steering Committee for Metrology which will raise them in turn to the GSO Technical Council for approval within the authority outlined in the GSO bylaw;